Monday 23 March 2009

NO SURER FOUNDATION

FOR MY MAMA , ON MOTHER'S DAY.
THANK YOU MUM FOR GIVING US A GOOD BEGINNING AND FOR BEING THERE FOR US, ALWAYS !
Today , as always, I remember with fond memories my happy and fun-filled childhood. I give thanks to my parents for being together for 44 years; for giving us a very happy and secure home.
Dad went home to Jesus in 1994, aged 83.
Their marriage was a very happy and peaceful union.Blessed with eight healthy , beautiful, intelligent and very stubborn children (Mum's words!) .

Mother's Day will not be complete without children , everywhere, remembering the roles their "Mum" has played in their lives.
For me, my mother has been a rock and a shield. She instilled in her children , and still does so; the ideals and values of living as a Christian .
In our formative years, she "sat" on us, literally. We and dad were her "prayer-projects". She is THE virtuous woman, a lioness and mother-hen indeed!

I had heard about the Salvation plan of God right from infancy.
I was fortunate to start attending Sunday School as at age four; in fact as early
as when I could talk .
My parents took us children with them to church, every Sunday.

In Sunday School, I remember we were taught about Jesus'love for mankind especially , his love for little children.
We were taught about his Virgin Birth, how he came from God, His Father in heaven to this world to die for all sinners , about his resurrection and ascension.
Did we have loads of fun in Sunday School? Oh yes!
We heard lots "Jesus Stories" and we read from brightly coloured Bible story books.
There were lots of goodies to eat and drink; and loads of toys for us to play with.
We danced, clapped and sang songs of praise to Jesus.
One of which has remained an anthem in most Children Sunday School classes, all over the world till today. It goes like this:
Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world
Black or yellow ,brown or white;
All are precious in his sight!
Jesus loves the children of the world !

Another popular song for us was "All things bright and beautiful..... "

Our birthdays , at Easter and Christmas we looked forward to with wide-eyed excitement because we knew we would be thoroughly spoilt on those days by our parents and by the church.
Not once did we question the teachings we heard or refused to go to attend services and noboby forced us to attend .
We were happy to be in church. We believed Jesus loved us and we loved him .

Some one reading this could be thinking : " This brainwashing! Parents should not force their religious beliefs on their children .
Parents should allow children to exercise their rights of freedom on how best to lead their lives either with or without religion!"

Well,it could also be argued that parents should not install a child guard on the top and bottom of stairs in homes where there are toddlers.
Toddlers , should be allowed to exercise their human rights to freedom !
They should be free to roam. Free to choose , if they so desired , to go tumbling down the stairs and land head first at the foot of the stairs!
It has even be said that children should not be told that a dead family member "has gone to heaven to be with God." Because this could have an adverse effect on the child's mind!
If children must be shielded from any mention of God and heaven,then they should be shielded from the religions of Darwinism and Witchcraft ,Harry Porter, Sabrina the Witch , Batman and Spiderman films !
Many of the children who watch these films could be influenced to the extent of chanting spells to change humans and animals into frogs and ravens! While others could attempt jumping from rooftops on broomsticks!

My purpose here is not to claim that I have turned out to be better than the average person because I went to Sunday school as an infant and I go to church .
Neither am I pontificating that all children who attend sunday school end up a "holy" and "good" adults. Not so.
I know that Sunday School helps to LAY A SOLID FOUNDATION for a child's future.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old , he will not depart from it . Proverbs 22:6

This foundation has helped to establish me in my faith-walk with God by maintaining a child-like faith in my heart, that God loves me and he is always there for me.
This child-like faith has seen through the storms of life.
It has been my stay and fortress when ever I am at my wits ends!
In the eye of the storms of life I have stood against the fury of the enemy with my face set like flint against the onslaught and I have overcome because I believed in God's promises.
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.
Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them into their desired haven.
Psalm 107 : 29.


Where would I have been ,; what or who would I have become if I didn't know Jesus Christ?
When I think of all the great battles which the Lord has fought and won for me , I shudder to think of what could have been my lot in life,if I didn't have the Lord Jesus on my side!
My enemies would have made mincemeat of me , gleefully!

When I think of the goodness and mercy of God in my life and in my family , I shout HALLELUJAH! PRAISE THE LORD!
Blessed be the Lord my strength which teachest my hands to war and my fingers to fight.Psalm 144:1.

No comments:

Post a Comment